Examples of recent work include:
Social & Economic Planning Expert Witness For NSW Land And
- Douglas Martin has been an expert witness on social planning,
community impact and public interest issues in the NSW Land and
Environment Court. Recently prepared a social planning report
on a proposed neighbourhood prayer centre for people of the Islamic
faith at Annangrove, NSW which had been rejected by Baulkham Hills
Shire Council. In order to address the issue of a perceived "clash
- a social planning report was prepared involving a social survey
of residents within the designated community around Dural and
a "control" community and then compared perceptions
and attitudes on contemporary issues to the Islamic people from
the proposed prayer centre.
- Other cases include expert social planning advice on proposed
brothels, nightclubs and other entertainment venues and other
infrastructure such as child care and public housing.
- Department of Corrective Services Evaluation and Development
of new State Framework for People with Intellectual Disability
in Contact with Criminal Justice System.
- An evaluation of the Main Street and Small Towns Program was
carried out several years ago for the NSW Department of State
and Regional Development. This project involved consideration
of the effectiveness, efficiency and appropriateness of this program
that had been running on a State wide basis since the late 1980's.
Focus group sessions with participating local governments were
held in seven venues around the State including Milton - Ulladulla,
Lithgow, Kempsey, Deniliquin & Leeton.
- Evaluation of Clinical Services DADHC, Dysphasia Clinic, Westmead
Children's Hospital Department of Health.
- Department of Human Services, Victoria, Evaluation of Components
of the Criminal Justice Program.
- Department of School Education, Metropolitan East Region, Evaluation
of Behavioural and Support Needs.
- Department of Community Services, inner West Area, Evaluation
of Programming Services.
- Department of Community Services, Central West Area, Evaluation
of Programming Services.
- Department of Community Services, Hornsby-Ryde Area, Evaluation
of Programming Services.
- Evaluation of Red Cross Volunteer School Program NSW.
- Department of Community Services, Inner West Area, Evaluation
of Accommodation and Day Placement Services.
- Evaluation of the Role and Future Management Strategy for Location
and Operation of Special School Services for Christian Brothers,
St Edmunds School for the Blind, Wahroonga and Christian Brothers,
St Gabriel's School for the Deaf, Castle Hill.
Economic Development, Socio-economic and Community Impact Studies
- Study of Cumulative Impact (SOCEI) for the Province of Bali,
Indonesia funded by the World Bank. The Company completed a project
of the World Bank in Bali Indonesia. The project studied the cumulative
economic effects of tourism and urban development on the economic
development of Bali. This plan proposed a range of implementation
strategies which included identification of viable industry sector
economic development options, the inclusion of private sector
participation and a financial strategy which would enable all
components to be fully funded from within the program. The Study
included a year long community participation program with a stakeholder
steering Committee, sectoral task groups with focused group discussion,
group workshops, sample surveys, brochures, study newsletter and
- The Company was retained by the World Bank to develop a participatory
mechanism for public and private participation in the implementation
of a Coastal Biodiversity Management Project in northern Mozambique
utilising a private sector eco-tourism proposal (eg. London Zoological
Society as sponsor) to co-manage biodiversity protection with
local indigenous people. The project was funded by the Global
Environment Fund (GEF).
- For Snowy River Shire Council he completed the preparation
of an Affordable Housing Plan for the township of Jindabyne, NSW
which had significant housing and social problems due to the seasonal
impacts of ski tourism and current proposals for the Kosciusko
National Park. Private Sector Participation was a was a key objective
for implementation of the plan and supplemented with an environmental
user charge initiative on all National Park visitors to create
the initial capital fund.
- For Hornsby Shire Council - a marketing feasibility study of
the Proposed Greenwaste Composting Project which was within the
Hornsby Area of Northern Sydney.
- Social Impact Assessment and community Infrastructure study
for the Black Range Minerals Ltd Nickel and Cobalt extraction
plant at Syerston, near Parkes NSW. 1999-2000.
- Preparation of a Social Impact Analysis And Community Infrastructure
Assessment of the Cadia-Ridgeway Gold Mine Near Orange NSW.
- For Placer Pacific Management on the socio-economic study of
the proposed Mt Rawdon Gold Project near the Bundaberg Queensland.
This work has estimated commuter mining options and the population
and the social and employment impacts of the mine on the small
neighbouring community of Mt Perry.